Sunday, May 12, 2013

Through Little Eyes

The best thing about Mother’s Day is that it isn’t just one day. I get to be a mother 365 days a year. Yeah, some days motherhood is hard. With 6 kids, I’ve had more than my fair share of broken bones, stitches, and surgeries. I’ve had way more than enough broken glasses, lost mittens, foot prints on the floor, foot prints on the walls, marker on the table, yogurt on the TV, Legos on the floor, and messes of every variety imaginable (and many you wouldn’t imagine in your wildest dreams.)

I’ve changed a zillion dirty diapers and spent more sleepless nights than there are stars in the sky. I’ve waited up for a child to get home before curfew, I’ve driven children and their friends all over the earth, and I’ve dished out money for the movies/bowling/skating more times than I can count. I’ve read a thousand books and listened patiently while a thousand more were read to me.  I’ve had my kids bring me wild squirrels (held by the tail), dead rabbits (held on a shovel) and a few dozen frogs, lizards, and turtles. I’ve had my kids pour soap all over the kitchen floor so they could “skate through it”, and I’ve had them pour water on the floor and leave the freezer door open to make an indoor ice rink. I’ve had them carve their names into the paint on the side of my van and I’ve had them draw in permanent marker on the TV. I’ve had them use my toothbrush to stir a potion of water, toothpaste, lotion, and worms in the bathroom sink. Yeah, some days are hard.

But I have also given and received more hugs and kisses than there are grains of sand. I’ve been told, “I love you” daily. I’ve had the absolute blessing of seeing the world through a child’s eyes. Nothing can change your perspective and make you smile quite like seeing things through a child’s eyes. When you stop and take a minute to look at things from a different viewpoint, it can turn your whole day around. The kids didn’t just fill my bathtub with frogs. No, they rounded up as many frogs as they could to save them from the wild (nevermind that they live in the wild). The kids didn’t just draw all over the wall with black Sharpie. No, they were leaving me their artwork; artwork that will bring fond smiles and laughs a few years from now when I recall it.


Don’t believe me? See for yourself. Then see what your kids see.

CONTINUE READING HERE!

1 comment:

noexcuses said...

OMG!!! I love this post, Dawn! Your creativity (and that of your kids) is beyond WOW! Oh how it brought back so many memories! I thank God every day for my kids, as they taught (and still teach) me new perspectives on life! Well done, friend!

Who's Visiting My Blog Right Now?

 
Home About Dawn Blog Books News & Events Press Kit Contact

Dawn Meehan 2008-. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design by Jones House Creative